Green onions, also known as scallions or scallions, are delicious raw or cooked. Let’s explore three different ways that you can cut green onion.
Green onions are the same as scallions. They are closely related to vegetables such as garlic. Scallions can add flavor, color, and texture to favorite dishes.
Scallions have a sharp taste that is similar to regular onions. But they’re not as intense and won’t make anyone cry.
Scallions are an Asian favorite. These versatile vegetables are often used to make stir-fry, soups, and pancakes with scallions. They are great as both a main or garnish ingredient.
Whole green onions can be eaten. This includes the white section, which is much more intense than the green. Many people will trim the tops and roots while making green onions.
HOW TO WASH THE GREEN ONIONS
Place the green onions into a colander. After they have been rinsed under cold running waters, gently shake them to remove any dirt.
Pat dry with kitchen towels or paper towels.
HOW TO CUT GREEN ONIONS
- First, wash the onion to remove any dirt. Next, lay it on a cutting board. You will need to remove the root end of the white bulb.
- You should then check the outer layer for damage or beauty. If it’s damaged or missing, take out the outer layer.
- The ends of the green portion should be cut off as these can sometimes prove a bit challenging.
- Separate the green tops (white bulb)
- Take the white bulb and cut it in half lengthwise. Then, hold it together.
- Turn it and then chop it.
- Grab the green tops, and slice thin
- Repeat until done!
TIPS & TICKS
- The easiest way to chop is with a sharp knife.
- If you chop the white bulb separately, the pieces can grow too big, making the onion taste too strong.
- If the bulb isn’t clearly defined, you can cut the white section with the stems of green.
- This is the correct way if the recipe calls to cut the bias diagonally. Your knife should be at a 45-degree angle for the green parts.
- After cutting, store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. They are suitable for up five days.
- You can freeze any leftovers after you chop for up three months.